Thursday, May 15, 2008

Majors

So i finally got off my rear and applied for federal aid. i've narrowed my schools down to three. and majors also to three. one could become a minor, but what of the third?

on the table is mechanical engineering. on that side, all i want to do is research and design. i don't want to build anything, nor do i want to repair it, just to design.

the next choice i embedded systems engineering. low power, high capacity systems have long been an interest of mine. i would love to build a low cost, low power consumption Desktop that could be powered by alterative means.

the third choice is unix system administration. i've been administering my own boxes for a while and helping to maintain others. plus with paul about to get his network admin certs from SLCC, we've discussed starting a consulting firm together.

so i've got to decide. comments? i'm leaning towards engineering as that is my passion, whereas computers are only my hobby.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,

I just saw your email and then your post. Congratulations for going back to school. As for the choice of majors, well you know I'll support you in anything you do, but since you asked for comments --

I think you'd make an great Engineer. You've got both the brains and the talent for it, plus those computer skills would come in handy, especially if you went into the research side of things.

Best of luck in whatever you decide!

Your sis,

Amy